Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Glass Room

In the week I was in Nicaragua, I can only recall one time where I felt depressed and sad. This one moment was the biggest growth for me as well. The following sketch is how God dealt with me spiritually during that time.

Imagine two plexiglass rooms right next to each other, both soundproof with a door unlocked but closed inbetween the two. I am in one room alone and in the other, my friends. The room my friends are in, they are having a party and a fun time without me. They are laughing and telling jokes, but I can't hear them and they can't hear me. I could open the door and walk in, but I am proud and don't want to look awkward so I just wait hoping that at least one of them will open the door and join me here, or at least come in and bring me back to their room, but nothing happens. They just continue and I am there alone. A few times one opens the door and tells me to join them, but then closes it promptly. I feel so alone and dejected. After a while I check myself and think about just how ridiculous my feelings are. Suddenly, Jesus puts His hand on my shoulder and I turn around to see that He was there all along, I was just looking the wrong way. "My child. My child," He says. Then we both sit down and have a long discussion. He shows me, once more, that I was looking at the situation the wrong way. The fact is, that I don't need friends, because I already have the best and only friend I need. Even though christian friends are very important, they aren't essential and if we only seek God's kingdom first, then He will give us all that we need.

No comments: